Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Naming of Cows

Sorry for the random T.S. Eliot reference, but I thought it fit.

Anyway, scientific research has discovered that naming cows actually improves milk production, which I find hilarious since I grew up on a farm. Most of our cows did not have names; there were too many.

We only had two cows that were named. Our best milk cow was affectionately named Dolly P. due to the size of her udders. Her baby, who was born on Halloween, was named Pumpkin. I will say that Dolly P. produced a ton of milk. So, maybe naming helps.

Either way, the article mentions that better treatment of cattle helps them produce more milk, which I think is the real reason the cows in the study produced so much more. Also, it makes more sense that if a farmer names an animal and humanizes it that they will treat it better. So, I really think that naming a cow makes very little difference, to the cow at least. I thought the article was cute though.

1 comment:

  1. It would be interesting to know if the study was done on an individually owned farm, and the conditions the cows are kept it. The science behind that could be potentially fascinating though.

    ReplyDelete